Buffalo Speedway Project
To see the latest news and updates, view our Buffalo Speedway Reconstruction updates.
To sign up to receive news and updates to the Buffalo Speedway Project > CLICK HERE (choose to receive updates via email, text or both. Scroll down and select Buffalo Speedway Reconstruction)
Through a federal grant, the City of West University Place was awarded funding to replace the existing road surface of Buffalo Speedway. The project area will consist of the section of road that traverses the City beginning at the 5300 block (south of Bissonnet) and ending at the 6700 block (north of West Holcombe/Bellaire). As part of this project, the City will also make improvements to the drainage system. The road construction portion of the project will be administered by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) with City oversight.
This aerial map shows an overview of the project area with the project route in illustrated in green with major points marked with balloon points. (1) Buffalo Speedway at Bissonnet Street – North end of the project, (2) Buffalo Speedway at Holcombe/Bellaire Boulevard – West U City Limits South end, (3) West U Drainage Outfall – South end of the project.
Scope of Work
- The project will consist of:
- A complete road surface replacement in approximately the existing footprint.
- Major Drainage System Improvements including proposed dual 8 foot by 8 foot box culverts transporting stormwater to the Poor Farm Ditch south of Holcombe Boulevard
- Visual enhancements at both entrances and at major intersections.
- Road surface reconstruction
- 80% Federal Grant (up to $9,250,000).
- 20% City of West University Place.
- Drainage Improvements
- 100% Funded by City of West University Place.
- The City received approximately $5,300,000 grant funding for drainage work.
- 9-10-2018 - Engineering Contract Awarded.
- 9-27-2018 - Design Kick-Off Meeting with TXDOT.
- 10-25-2018 - Begin Field Survey and Mapping work all along route.
- 11-1-2018 - Begin Geotechnical Study (boring for Soil Samples).
- June 2019 - First meeting with adjacent property owners – 30% design completion.
- October 2019 - Second meeting – Advertised Public Meeting – 60% design completion.
- March 4, 2020 - Third meeting with adjacent property owners – 90% design completion.
- May 2020 - 95% design completion
- July-Aug 2020 - Final 100% design submittal to TXDOT.
- July- November 2020 - TXDOT Advertises Bid For Contractors.
- November 2020 - TXDOT Awards Contract.
- January 2021 - Construction Activities Begin.
*dates subject to change
- City of West University Place - Public Works Department
- Freese Nichols Engineering - Roadway Design
- Ron Bavarian P.E. Project Manager
- HDR Engineering - Drainage Improvement Design
- John Peterson P.E. Project Manager
- Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT)
- Mohammed Zubair P.E. Project Manager