Buffalo Speedway Project
To see the latest news and updates, view our Buffalo Speedway Reconstruction updates.
To sign up to receive news and updates to the Buffalo Speedway Project > CLICK HERE (choose to receive updates via email, text or both. Scroll down and select Buffalo Speedway Reconstruction)
Through a federal grant, the City of West University Place was awarded funding to replace the existing road surface of Buffalo Speedway. The project area will consist of the section of road that traverses the City beginning at the 5300 block (south of Bissonnet) and ending at the 6700 block (north of West Holcombe/Bellaire). As part of this project, the City will also make improvements to the drainage system. The road construction portion of the project will be administered by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) with City oversight.
Scope of Work
- The project will consist of:
- A complete road surface replacement in approximately the existing footprint.
- Major Drainage System Improvements including proposed dual 8 foot by 8 foot box culverts transporting stormwater to the Poor Farm Ditch south of Holcombe Boulevard
- Visual enhancements at both entrances and at major intersections.
- Road surface reconstruction
- 80% Federal Grant (up to $9,250,000).
- 20% City of West University Place.
- Drainage Improvements
- The City received approximately $5,300,000 grant funding for drainage work.
- The remainder of the drainage improvements is being funded by the City.
- 9-10-2018 – Engineering Contract Awarded.
- 9-27-2018 – Design Kick-Off Meeting with TXDOT.
- 10-25-2018 – Begin Field Survey and Mapping work all along route.
- 11-1-2018 – Begin Geotechnical Study (boring for Soil Samples).
- June 2019 – First meeting with adjacent property owners – 30% design completion.
- October 2019 – Second meeting – Advertised Public Meeting – 60% design completion.
- March 4, 2020 – Third meeting with adjacent property owners – 90% design completion.
- May 2020 – 95% design completion
- July-Aug 2020 – Final 100% design submittal to TXDOT.
- July- November 2020 – TXDOT Advertises Bid For Contractors.
- November 2020 – TXDOT Awards Contract.
- March 2021 – May 2021 – Construction Activities Begin – Phase 1 – Waterline Replacement
- April 2021 – November 2021 – Phase 2 – Poor Farm Ditch Outfall to South of Cason St.
- November 2021 – October 2022 – Phase 3 – Cason St. to Amherst St.
- October 2022 – May 2023 – Phase 4 – Amherst St. to Wroxton Rd.
- May 2023 – August 2023 – Final Punchlist – Site Cleanup
*dates subject to change
(For questions regarding the Buffalo Speedway Project, please contact City staff.)
- City of West University Place - Public Works Department
- Freese Nichols Engineering - Roadway Design
- Ron Bavarian P.E. Project Manager
- HDR Engineering - Drainage Improvement Design
- John Peterson P.E. Project Manager
- Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT)
- Farshad Shafipour, Project Manager