The city of West University Place does NOT operate a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility, but residents can choose 1 of 2 options to dispose of HHW.
The Harris County Hazardous Waste Facility, located at 6900 Hahl Road, is operated by Harris County and is open to West U residents free of charge.
The City of West University Place has negotiated with the City of Houston to allow West U residents to dispose of their items at Houston's facilities.
What is Considered Hazardous Waste?
- Acid, antifreeze, rechargeable batteries, aerosol cans
- Chemicals: Crafts and Hobbies, Pool, Photography, Household
- Degreasers, drain cleaners
- Electronics: computer parts, monitor, printer, cell phones, TV, microwave (limit 2)
- Fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, pest strips
- Fluorescent/CFL lights (20 count limit/voucher)
- Fuel (gasoline), kerosene, and cooking oil
- Motor oil, oil filters, brake fluid, car wax, tires (limit of 2)
- Paint, spray paint, paint thinner, metal polish
- Power steering fluid, transmission fluid
- Propane 5-pound cylinders; helium tanks
- Solvents, turpentine, varnish, stains
- Styrofoam blocks
What to do with it? - Where to Dispose of/Recycle Common Household Items
Contact Public Works Customer Service by phone at 713-662-5839 or by email at PWInfo@westutx.gov with any questions.