- Public Works
- Code Compliance
- Noise Ordinance
Click the link HERE to download a PDF copy of the Noise Ordinance Information Card (shown above)
To download a Spanish version of the Noise Ordinance Information Card, follow the link HERE.
On July 27, 2020, City Council voted to amend the City's noise ordinance expanding residential quiet hours in West University Place and establishing a noise limit for leaf blowers.
In response to the increase use of leaf blowers, the City of West University Place amended the City's Ordinance that will help decrease noise pollution in the City. Enforcement of the new noise ordinance will begin MAY 3, 2021.
- Leaf Blowers used in West University Place must be certified by the manufacturer to produce no more than 70 decibels at a distance of 50 feet.
- Many commercially available leaf blowers that meet this criteria are labeled with the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) B175.2 sticker (shown). This manufacturer's label and/or product documentation will be used to verify compliance.
- Homeowners and contractors are responsible for ensuring compliance on their property, regardless of who is using the leaf blower. Violations will be subject to penalties and fine.
- Click here for Frequently Asked Questions
Residential Quiet Hours
|*Residential Quiet Hours:||(Noise restrictions apply)|
|Monday - Friday (except the holidays mentioned below)||Before 7:00 A.M. or after 7:00 P.M.|
|Saturday (except the holidays mentions below)||Before 8:00 A.M. or after 5:00 P.M.|
|Any Sunday, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, Independence Day, and any city holiday on which there is no curbside trash collection.||Before 12:00 noon or after 5:00 P.M.|
General Noise Level Limit
The general maximum limit for any noise, except for noises specifically listed in Section 54-41 of the City's ordinance are as follows:
- Residential Property: 58 dB(A) during residential quiet hours; 65 dB(A) during all other times
- Nonresidential property: 68 dB(A) at all times
- All sound level measurements shall be made as provided in Section 54-44 of the ordinance, unless otherwise stipulated in Section 54-41.
Click here to view a complete listing of city ordinances.