Applications, Forms and Registration


Most contractors providing services within the City of West University are required to register with the Development Services Department prior to commencing work. Registration fee is $100 (with the exception of electrical, mechanical and plumbing contractors). We require a copy of the driver's license for each owner(s), corporate officer(s) or partner(s) of the company and at least a $300,000 general liability insurance policy that names the City of West University Place as the certificate holder. The certificate can be faxed, emailed or bought in person when you register. Email inspections to turn in the certificate. The fax number is 713.662.5304. We also need a copy of the driver's license and state license for any company registering that requires a state license. Registration is valid for one year from the time a company registers with the City. We accept cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa and Discover as payment.

Forms and Applications 

Building permits are required to build, repair or add additions to structures in West University Place. All construction must be in conformance with the city amendments and ordinances. Applicants are required to apply in person in order to satisfy the need for original signatures, license verification, and payment. We do not accept applications to be faxed or emailed.

The Development Services Department issues permits for:

  • Air conditioning unit and water heater replacement
  • Building demolition
  • Commercial business construction
  • Driveway or patio extensions
  • Electrical repairs and re-adjustments
  • Gas re-connections
  • House construction
  • House or building moves
  • New roofs or roof repairs
  • Patio covers, porches and sun rooms
  • Permanent signs
  • Swimming pools, including hot tubs and spas over 24 inches deep
  • Trade work - electrical, plumbing, HVAC
  • Tree Removal
  • Others

Work requiring permits cannot start until the permit is issued by the Development Services Department. Permit applications must be reviewed and approved by department staff and all fees are calculated at that time. 

  1. Forms A - H (click here)
  2. Forms I - Z (click here)