Utility Services Information
- Each renter/owner is responsible for connecting and terminating their own utility service.
- Each renter/owner is responsible for usage from the time of connection until the time of termination.
- Services billed are usually for: water, sewer, and solid waste. You can add our alarm monitoring system, Direct Link. If interested visit: Alarm Monitoring or you can call 713.662.5860.
- Services are billed in the arrears. Example: Start/Stop services in July, you will be billed at the end of August, with a due date in September.
- Bills are usually due the 3rd Wednesday of the month, so the date will change, but not the day of the month.
Certificate of Occupancy
Active water service in a newly built home owner’s name will not be activated until a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is issued by the Public Works Department. Until that time, owners are not to move into the premises. It is a Class C Misdemeanor to occupy a building without a certificate of occupancy. Each day of occupancy is a separate offense.
Starting New Service
- Residents/Renters: In order to establish water, sewer and solid waste service, the applicant should complete a Residential Utility Application, provide proper identification (driver’s license, ID, or passport), and the first page of the sales contract or rental agreement.
- Commercial/Builders: In order to establish water service, the applicant should complete a Company Utility Application, and provide their Tax ID Number. Builder accounts must submit a $500 deposit per property in person at the time of new service application.
West U offers online payments. You can make a one-time payment or setup for recurring payments.
Please visit: Pay Utilities Online
In order to stop services please complete the Utility Termination Request. If a deposit was paid, it will be applied to the final bill, and if there are any remaining funds they will be refunded.
Connection Times & Deadlines
West University Place does not start or stop services on:
- Same business day as the application is made
To start or stop services, please submit all documentation by 4:00 p.m. no later than the day before you want services to start or stop.
Service Timeline Example
- John Q. Public visits our office on Tuesday, June 18, and wants new service that day. The earliest possible service date is Wednesday, June 19 if all documentation is received by 4:00 p.m. June 18.
- However, Mr. Public does not send his documentation until 8:00 p.m. June 18 (after business hours); his earliest possible service date then becomes Thursday, June 20, the next business day after he has provided the required documentation.