The City of West University Place Parks and Recreation Department strives to provide services enabling seniors to maintain independence and quality of life.
We provide transportation to West U Senior Residents in need to senior activities, doctors, dentists, beauty shops, drug stores, banks and post offices by appointment only, schedule permitting.
Participants must have the cognitive and physical ability to get to and from the vehicle and their appointment site on their own. If not, a caretaker must be present. Grocery shopping is provided on a designated day.
Call the office for more information. When calling for transportation, please have the name, address and phone number of your appointment available. Reservations must be made at least one day in advance, and there are no standing appointments. Please confirm all appointments weekly. Call the office at 713.662.5895 to schedule a ride.
Words on Wheels
Senior Services has paired up with the West U Library to provide the Words on Wheels program, offering home delivery of your favorite books.
West University Place Handymen
Through the Senior Services Office, volunteer handymen assist homebound and disabled seniors with minor home repair and odd jobs around the house. If you are a senior resident in need of a simple home repair, please contact the Senior Services office to see if it is a job for our wonderful volunteers.
For those with special needs, the City provides porch trash and recycling pick up. Call Senior Services at 713.662.5895 for more information about the program.
West U Residents: Important Age 65+ Information:
· Senior Solid Waste Fee Discount. Proof of DOB to City Hall (handles utility billing).
· Discount on your taxes/ HISD portion. Go to the HCAD website to register.
· Pet Registration Discount. Be sure to get this discount through the Public Works office.
· Reduced Membership rate at Colonial Pool & Rec Center.
· Community Building (any program offered by the Community Building) approximately, 10% discount to Residents.
· Those of you turning 65 years of age will also want to register for Medicare sooner than later. The Community Building offers Medicare presentations scheduled throughout the year. See the Hi Neighbor Newsletter for dates.