Recycling Pick Up
The city provides curbside pickup of recycling once a week on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. The Recycling Route Map (PDF) shows the scheduled days for various routes. For more information, see our Welcome Brochure and Service Guide (PDF).
Holiday Collection Schedule
Collection times will be adjusted for holidays. See the current Holiday Collection Schedule (PDF).
Curbside Pick Up
The city uses Single-Stream Recycling, which means that residents can place all of their recycling into the blue bins, including:
Replacement recycle bins may be picked up at the Public Works Administration Office located at 3826 Amherst St. A $10 bin fee may be charged depending on the number of bins issued to a home. If you have any questions regarding replacement of bins, please call 713.662.5839.
The city currently accepts the following recyclables:
- All cardboard products, cereal boxes, corrugated boxes, paper towel rolls, egg cartons, milk and juice cartons, aseptic containers (soy, wine, etc.)
- Cans, bottles, baking pans, and food trays
- Clear and colored glass
- Glass bottles and jars
- Mail, envelopes, home/office/school paper, newspapers, magazines, catalogs and telephone books
- Mixed Paper
- Plastic bottles, containers, lids and rigid plastic only
- Plastics #1,2,3,4,5 and 7
- Tin cans, empty aerosol cans and metal lids
- Tops included separately
We do not accept the following:
- Food soiled cardboard
- Hazardous waste (paints, tires, oil, batteries, CFLs and insecticides)
- Light bulbs
- Plastic bags
- Large Scrap Metal (small sections can be disposed of with bulk waste collection)
- Waxed paper
- Aluminum foil
To prepare items for recycling:
- Empty all containers
- Flatten cardboard
- Remove styrofoam, peanuts and plastic packaging
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
The city of West University Place does not operate a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility, but residents can choose 1 of 2 options to dispose of HHW. For more information about these options, visit our HHW Disposal page.
Where Can I Recycle
To find locations for various recyclables that are not accepted curbside, please visit the Earth 911 website.