Recycling Pick Up
The city provides curbside pickup of recycling once a week on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. The Recycling Route Map (PDF) shows the scheduled days for various routes. For more information, see our Welcome Brochure and Service Guide (PDF).
Holiday Collection Schedule
Collection times will be adjusted for holidays. See the current Holiday Collection Schedule (PDF).
Curbside Pick Up & Placement
The city uses Single-Stream Recycling, which means that residents can place all acceptable recycling items into the blue bins. (See list below)
All recyclable products are to be placed at curbside no sooner than 6:00 p.m. the day before and no later than 8:00 a.m. on your regular pickup day. Early placements may be subject to a special collection fee (minimum of $50).
The City currently accepts the following recyclables:
- Cans - aluminum, steel, tin
- Cartons - food and beverage cartons
- Glass - bottles and jars
- Paper - mixed paper, newspaper, magazines
- Plastics number 1,2,3,4,5 and 7
- Tin cans, empty aerosol cans, and metal lids
NOT ACCEPTED for curbside collection:
- PLASTIC BAGS & FILM - (most common contaminant in recycling)
- Ceramics and/or China dishware
- Food-soiled cardboard
- Hazardous waste (paints, tires, oil, batteries, CFLs, and insecticides)
- Light bulbs
- Pyrex cookware
- Large Scrap Metal (small sections can be disposed of with bulk waste collection)
- Waxed paper
- Aluminum foil
To prepare items for recycling:
- Empty all containers
- Flatten cardboard
- Remove styrofoam, peanuts, and plastic packaging
Replacement recycle bins may be picked up at the Public Works Administration Office located at 3826 Amherst Street. A fee may be charged depending on the number of bins issued to a home. If you have any questions regarding the replacement of bins, please call 713.662.5839.
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
The city of West University Place does NOT operate a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility, but residents can choose 1 of 2 options to dispose of HHW. For more information about these options, visit our HHW Disposal page.
Where Can I Recycle
To find locations for various recyclables that are not accepted curbside, please visit the Earth 911 website.
What to do with it? - Where to Dispose of/Recycle Common Household Items